- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/4 bunch thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg lamb shoulder
- 350g parsnips, trimmed, peeled, quartered
- 1 bunch dutch carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 8 pickling onions, halved
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups beef stock damper, to serve
- Preheat oven to slow, 160C. Tie parsley and thyme together with kitchen string.
- Heat half oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish on high. Brown lamb, turning. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until tender. Pour in stock and add herbs. Bring to the boil.
- Return lamb to dish. Bake covered, for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours until meat and vegetables are tender. To serve, remove meat from bone and mix through sauce. Discard herb bundle. Serve with damper.
Tip: If preferred, cube meat before browning.
If you like spice, add some Moroccan spice powder to taste, and a sprinkle of raisins, if desired.